How will my credits transfer? | UNCG Undergraduate Admissions

UNC Greensboro accepts most credits from accredited 4-year institutions and community colleges. These credits may be accepted as General Education credits or as elective credits. Our staff will work with you throughout your application and enrollment process to help you know what to expect when you arrive on campus.

How Your Credits Transfer – North Carolina Transfer Students

Future students not yet admitted to UNCG or current students who are exploring courses at other institutions should use the UNCG Transfer Credit Planner to get a sense of how their credits will translate toward a UNCG degree. If you’re transferring from a North Carolina Community College you can utilize the state’s Comprehensive Articulation Agreement. More information on how your credits may transfer can be found below.

Transferring from a NC community college

Have you completed your degree?

Completed your AA or AS degree from a NC public community college: If you have at least a 2.0 GPA and a grade of “C” or better in all transferable courses, you will receive at least 60 semester hours of academic credit upon admission to UNC Greensboro. This means you will have fulfilled the university’s lower-division general education requirements. (Certain UNCG degree programs may have additional requirements or pre-requisites.) This is part of the state’s Comprehensive Articulation Agreement (CAA) policy.

Completed an AAS degree: Your credits will transfer on a course-by-course basis unless your degree is covered by a specific 2Plus program. These 2Plus programs are specifically negotiated agreements between UNC Greensboro and certain NC community colleges. Degree options include early childhood education and nursing degrees at UNCG.

Is your degree still in progress?

If you have an in-progress AA or AS degree from an NC community college with at least 16 completed credits, consider the Reverse Transfer program. This allows you to earn your associate degree while completing courses for your 4-year degree at UNCG. For more details about Reverse Transfer, contact our office.

Note that your GPA for transferred courses (except UNC Online or Greater Greensboro Consortium) will not be applied at UNCG.

Private or non-nc college transfer

You may transfer up to 64 credits from a community college and an unlimited number of credits from an accredited, 4-year university. Your credits will transfer on a course-by-course basis. Check your institution and coursework on the Transfer Equivalency Search website to get an idea of which courses will transfer. Additional transfer guidelines:

  • Course work completed with a grade of C-, D+, D, or D- will not transfer.
  • If you take a course or its equivalent more than once for credit (and it is not repeatable for credit), credit will be applied toward degree requirements only once.
  • In the case of duplicate transfer credit, only the first instance in which credit can be awarded will be transferred to UNCG.
  • Any UNCG student may earn up to 12 hours of elective credit in physical education activity courses to apply toward graduation.
  • Elective credit for military training may be awarded where UNCG has comparable courses and upon receipt of an official American Council of Education transcript.
  • Technical, vocational, or professional courses (from community colleges or from proprietary or technical colleges) cannot be accepted in transfer, unless they are part of a 2Plus Program. These programs give students with certain Associate in Applied Science degrees access to transfer toward specific 4-year UNCG degrees.
  • Developmental courses (such as Intermediate Algebra), and courses that are not applicable to UNCG degree programs do not transfer.
  • If you have taken placement tests such as CLEP or AP, we require official test scores directly from the College Board to accept the applicable credits.
  • For courses where you wish to receive speaking or writing intensive credit for a course you transferred to UNCG, you should contact your program directly. Advisors in your program can assess whether speaking/writing intensive designation can be awarded.

Your GPA for transferred courses (except UNC Online or Greater Greensboro Consortium) will not be applied at UNCG.

Other types of credits

International Coursework

UNCG policy requires that all international courses (even those taught in English) be evaluated by a member of the National Association of Credential Evaluation Services. A transfer credit block for international work will not be posted until such evaluations have been submitted; specific UNCG course credit will not be posted until course descriptions (translated) have been submitted to Transfer Articulation Services.

Extension Credit

UNCG extension credit, earned either on or off campus, will be considered transfer credit for admission purposes. Up to 64 semester hours in extension and/or correspondence credits may be applied toward your degree. Academic departments may establish course and credit limitations on extension credits. Although UNCG extension credit is treated as transfer credit at the time of admission, it will be thereafter considered “Residence” credit for degree certification purposes.

How to get your official transcript evaluation

You may send us official transcripts at any time during the admissions process. Keep in mind priority is given to admitted students, based on application date. We encourage you to complete your application as early as possible to ensure you receive your transcript evaluation in plenty of time for advising and registration. Once complete, your evaluation will be available on UNCGenie.