If you previously earned an undergraduate degree from a college or university accredited by the Accrediting Commission for Community and Junior Colleges (ACCJC) Western Association of Schools and Colleges, Higher Learning Commission (HLC), Middle States Commission on Higher Education (MSCHE), New England Commission of Higher Education (NECHE), Northwest Commission on Colleges and Universities (NWCCU), Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges (SACSCOC), or WASC Senior College and University Commission (WSCUC) and would like to pursue a second degree at UNCG, we welcome your application.
Requirements for second-degree seeking students
- Students must select a different major from their first degree. (“Undecided” is not an option.)
- Students must have earned their first degree from a college or university accredited by one of the agencies listed above.
- Students must complete courses required for their second major (both in the department and cognate areas) but are not required to complete general education core requirements.
- Students must meet the UNCG residency requirement of 31 on-campus hours. Courses from a first degree can apply to the second degree but may not be used to satisfy the UNCG residency requirement.
- Students who earned a previous degree from UNCG are required to apply for admission.
Please note: International students should visit the International Programs Center for additional requirements.
If you would like to pursue a second degree at UNCG, follow our posted admission deadlines. Applications will be considered, space permitting, on a rolling basis.
After reviewing your application, we will let you know if we require additional information. We must receive any requested items by our application deadlines. Because we typically require four to six weeks to review all applications, we strongly encourage you to apply well in advance of the deadline.
A complete application consists of the following components:
- Application for Admission (Prior to submitting this online application, please review the general application information and sign up for a SpartanLink account. You may also apply via Common App.)
- $65 nonrefundable application fee
- Community Standards Questionnaire, required of all applicants by the UNC system
- Official transcript sent directly from the registrar of each institution you have attended (including summer session or extension work) to the UNCG Office of Undergraduate Admissions. (Please request that your high school mail an official transcript directly to the UNCG Office of Undergraduate Admissions. If applicable, submit an official copy of your GED scores along with your official high school transcript.) Note: Effective March 17, 2020, applicants may submit transcripts electronically to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please note: Several UNCG programs require a secondary admissions process.
Additional applicant types
Students seeking teacher licensure
If you are seeking Teacher Licensure in the same major as your degree, contact the UNCG School of Education, Student Services, & Advising at 336.334.3410.
Students seeking credit for non-baccalaureate degree purposes
If you already hold a baccalaureate degree and are taking credit for purposes other than a second degree, apply through the Graduate School.
Students applying to pre-professional programs
If you are a second-degree applicant to a pre-professional program, including the Post-Baccalaureate Pre-Medical Program, apply though Undergraduate Admissions using SpartanLink. You MUST declare a primary academic major that is different from your prior degree, and then choose a second major at UNCG in a pre-professional track, such as Pre-Medicine, Pre-Dentistry, etc.