Transfer Information FAQ

Nearly every course completed at an accredited 4-year institution will transfer to UNCG. Exceptions include developmental courses (e.g., Intermediate Algebra) or courses that are not applicable to UNCG degree programs. Most courses that apply toward an Associate in Arts or Associate in Science degree will readily transfer to UNCG. Courses completed at a community college must be a part of the institution’s college transfer program. Most of these courses apply toward the Associate in Arts or the Associate in Science degree but not the Associate in Applied Science (the AA or AS but not the AAS). Students may review our course equivalency search for specifics.

Will the course I’m taking at [name of institution] transfer to UNCG?

Visit TES to see what courses have transfered to UNCG in the past. If you have specific questions regarding transfer equivalencies, contact

An official transcript is one that arrives in a sealed envelope from the transfer institution on official transcript paper. If the envelope seal has been broken, this invalidates the transcript. Official transcripts may be mailed or delivered by the student. We do not accept faxed copies of transcripts or transcripts that arrive in opened envelopes.

For continuing UNCG students, the Transfer Articulation section of the Undergraduate Admissions Office makes every effort to complete processing within 48 hours of receiving an official transcript from another institution. Prospective students’ official transcripts that are received by the Office of Undergraduate Admissions usually require about a week for processing to be completed.

No. The "000" designation means that the course transferred as an elective because there is not an exact UNCG equivalent for the course or the course requires departmental approval before the elective is changed to something specific. Note, elective courses can be petitioned to satisfy General Education Core (GEC) requirements at the following website:

No, only courses taken at UNCG affect your UNCG grade point average. The only possible exceptions include inter-institutional enrollment programs like UNC Online or the Greater Greensboro Consortium. In the GGC, students may complete courses at local participating schools provided they are enrolled at UNCG during the same semester. Students pay only UNCG fees and should be enrolled for more courses at UNCG than at the host institution. For more information, contact the University Registrar’s Office at

Students may transfer a maximum of 64 semester hours from a community college. There is no limit to the number of semester hours a student may transfer from an accredited 4-year institution. See the UNCG Undergraduate Bulletin for details about credit regulations, credit limits, and degree requirements.

Please contact the Transfer Articulation Services at for further evaluation.

Writing and/or Speaking Intensive credit can be awarded with approval from the corresponding UNCG academic department. For example, UNCG’s History department would need to evaluate and approve a history course from another institution to satisfy a Writing and/or Speaking Intensive requirement. Academic department contact information is available on their websites.

Academic policy requires that all international courses (even those taught in English) be evaluated by a member of the National Association of Credential Evaluation Services. A transfer credit block for international work will not be posted until such evaluations have been submitted; specific UNCG course credit will not be posted until course descriptions (translated) have been submitted to Transfer Articulation Services.

Yes, a transcript should be sent from each institution you have attended.

I am a new student. How do I know if UNCG has received my transcripts?

Log in to SpartanLink. Check your application status. A checklist should appear of the application materials that have been received, including your transcripts. Any transcript evaluations that have been completed will be viewable there as well.

Follow the school’s procedure and have an official transcript sent to UNCG’s Office of Undergraduate Admissions. After your transcript is received, transfer credit will be posted to your UNCGenie account.

First, verify that your former school sent the transcript. If you have verified that the transcript has arrived at UNCG, please be aware that we handle many transcripts each week and may be processing yours. To check on transcript status, email for a faster response.

In cases where repeated credit can be earned (e.g., some music, dance, physical education, or independent study courses), subsequent attempts will be counted in the transfer hour total. However, since transfer courses do not factor into your UNCG GPA, transfer courses cannot apply towards a grade replacement attempt. If a course is repeated in an attempt to bring up a low grade at the other institution, the first attempt (if a C or higher) will be counted in the transfer hour total and the second attempt will be omitted.

Some of my courses were granted transfer credit at another school but not UNCG. Why not?

Transfer credit policies vary from school to school. UNCG does not rely on another school’s determination of credit to make transfer evaluations.

We are unable to grant credit based on placement exams taken at other schools; we must receive the AP or CLEP scores directly from the College Board. In cases where credit has been granted on the basis of a placement test, you will need to complete a similar placement test at UNCG.


Watch Our Video

Student Life at UNCG: Here's a look at what life is like after class at UNCG.

Watch Our Video

Preparing students for the future: Find out how UNCG prepares students for life after college through hands-on learning experiences.