GEC Petition for Transfer Credit
This form may be submitted by admitted undergraduate students to petition for a transfer course to fulfill UNCG General Education Core requirements (GEC). The online form initiates the re-evaluation process. Students should be prepared to supply Transfer Articulation Services with additional course information (like a course syllabus) upon request.
Transfer Articulation Services is not responsible for evaluating petitions for certain types of credit. Students will need to contact corresponding academic departments for petition procedures involving the following type of credit:
- Writing Intensive
- Speaking Intensive
- higher or 300-level credit
- specific UNCG course credit
To contact Transfer Articulation Services please e-mail us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Online GEC Petition for Transfer Credit Form Instructions
- All fields marked with an asterisk must be completed.
- Provide a link to the other institution's online course catalog in the "Course Descriptions and Other Comments" field, preferably the pages that either describe the course or otherwise support your petition.
- After receiving your petition form, TAS will review the course and notify you of a decision via e-mail.
Criteria for Denials
Transfer students may encounter situations where courses taken at other institutions satisfy requirements there, but fail to meet UNCG General Education Core requirements. Important considerations weigh into petition decisions, namely that decisions adhere to university policy and the philosophy of UNCG's General Education Program. There are three main reasons why a petition submitted to the Transfer Articulation Services is denied:
- Course credit sought is not consistent with an equivalent course in the UNCG Undergraduate Bulletin. For example, a petition for an introductory fiction writing course to satisfy a Literature (GLT) requirement would be denied because UNCG’s ENG 225: Writing of Fiction is not marked to satisfy that GEC requirement.
- GEC credit sought is not awarded by a corresponding UNCG academic department. For example, Biology courses cannot satisfy a Physical Science (GPS) requirement for a major in the College of Arts and Sciences.
- Courses transferring from a North Carolina community college has already been evaluated by UNCG's academic departments and equivalencies determined. Deviation from lists on our Transfer Evaluation System will require departmental approval.
These reasons will be cited in correspondence from Transfer Articulation Services if they pertain to your petition.
Watch Our Video
Student Life at UNCG: Here's a look at what life is like after class at UNCG.
Watch Our Video
Preparing students for the future: Find out how UNCG prepares students for life after college through hands-on learning experiences.