Address: 268 Stone Building
Web site: www.uncg.edu/swk
- School Social Work (BSW) (Lic) U895
- Social Work (BSW) U894
- Social Work 2Plus (BSW) U750
About the major
Social Work is one of the most comprehensive occupations and is recognized as the profession that centers its efforts on helping people to improve their social functioning. This focus on people in their social environment requires social workers to have an understanding of factors affecting individuals as well as the social forces that shape the world in which they live. Central themes of social work include a commitment to social justice, assisting people and communities to better their life circumstances, an action orientation, and an appreciation for human diversity. These values lead to a versatile practice perspective with skills to meet the challenges of the rapid changes affecting society.
Special application procedures
To be considered for admission, a student must have a minimum overall GPA of 2.5, have completed Introduction to Social Work with a minimum grade of C, have completed 51 semester hours, and complete the UNCG social work application process. Transfer students who have completed the equivalent of Introduction to Social Work at another accredited social work program will also need to apply for admission and complete the essay. Students wishing to major in social work are considered "pre-social work" until the above application process is complete.
What's Unique about social work at UNCG?
- Eighty percent of all graduates gain employment in the social work field within one year of graduation.
- The degree program has been continuously accredited since 1974.
- Student leadership opportunities are available in the National Association of Social Workers Student Organization (NASW-SO) and Phi Alpha Honor Society.
- The department is interested in all aspects of social work but has a special focus on issues of cultural diversity, including services to immigrants.
- Graduates can apply, under North Carolina law, to be Licensed Baccalaureate Social Workers.
- Most classes have fewer than 35 students, and students receive exceptional personal attention from the faculty.
- Receiving a BSW makes you eligible to apply for an Advanced Standing Masters in Social Work that can be completed in one calendar year.
Academic clubs and organizations
- National Association of Social Workers Student Organization
- Phi Alpha, the national social work honor society
- Many volunteer experiences are available in social work agencies.
- Yearlong internships to work with social work practitioners are available in more than 50 community agencies, hospitals, health and mental health facilities, and public schools.
- Some undergraduate students are selected each year to work with faculty on social work research. All students conduct research as part of their coursework.
- International exchange program with University of Strathclyde in Glasgow, Scotland
- Costa Rica Spanish Immersion Program
- Career options include child welfare, family social work, medical social work, mental health counseling, gerontological social work, corrections, and public welfare.
- Many graduates enroll in graduate programs within five years.
- Popular graduate programs in social work include the joint Master of Social Work program at N.C. A&T and UNCG, University of South Carolina, UNC-Chapel Hill, East Carolina University, and the University of Georgia.
- To learn more about career options in social work, check out the Bureau of Labor Statistics site at www.bls.gov.
Watch Our Video
We're the Spartans UNCG's spirit of self-discovery energizes our students and faculty and inspires them to do big things.