Public Health Online
- Health Studies Online (BS) U415
About the Major
Students who graduate with a Bachelor of Science in Public Health will be able to:
- Explain the purpose, core functions, services, and professions of public health.
- Analyze major public health trends and issues impacting populations and communities generally, and specifically with regard to health disparities and social inequities.
- Compare and contrast population-based approaches to addressing the health needs faced by society.
- Analyze and interpret public health data.
- Present clear oral and written ideas and arguments on public health generally, and specifically on issues related to health disparities and social inequities.
Special Application Procedures
The Health Studies online degree completion program is available to students who hold an A.A., A.S., B.A., or B.S. degree, have a cumulative GPA of 2.5, and have completed the public health related courses. Admission to the program is a two-step process. Students must first be admitted to the university. Once admitted, students will need to complete the departmental application in order to be accepted to the health studies online concentration. All admission requirements must be met in order to be admitted to the health studies online concentration. Visit phe.uncg.edu/b-s-in-health-studies-online/admissions/ for a complete list of prerequisites.
This is an online degree completion program. The program is asynchronous. Given the nature of the program, it is required that all students have the following:
- Regular access to a computer and the Internet
- A webcam
- A computer microphone and headset
What's Unique about the Department of Public Health Education at UNCG?
The health studies concentration allows students constrained by time and location to complete an undergraduate degree without relocating to the UNCG campus. With a focus on prevention, our program prepares students for careers or graduate studies that inspire them to positively influence the health behavior of individuals and communities as well as the living and working conditions that influence their health. The public health field improves the health status of individuals, families, communities, states, and the nation, and enhances the quality of life for all people. The public health profession draws from the biological, environmental, social-psychological, physical and medical sciences, and as such, our program focuses on the development of individual, group, institutional, community, and policy strategies to improve health.
Academic Clubs and Organizations
- Health Occupations Student Association (HOSA)
- North Carolina Society for Public Health Education (NCSOPHE)
- North Carolina Chapter of the American Association for Health Education (NCAAHE)
- American Public Health Association (APHA)
Upon program completion, health studies students are competitive in the job market for careers in administration, education, health sciences, human relations, and public service, as well as in other governmental, community-based and/or nonprofit settings.
Graduate school choices include the following:
- UNCG (MPH/DrPH)
- The Bloomberg School of Health at Johns Hopkins University, Baltimore, Maryland
- Indiana University Bloomington
Please note that due to governmental restriction, UNCG is not authorized to admit students from the states listed below into our ONLINE courses and programs: Alaska, Indiana, Kansas, Michigan, Minnesota, Missouri, New Mexico, Oregon, Utah, Washington, and Wyoming.
Watch Our Video
We're the Spartans UNCG's spirit of self-discovery energizes our students and faculty and inspires them to do big things.