Address: 239 Curry Building
Web site: www.uncg.edu/phi
- Philosophy (BA) U189
- Philosophy Online (BA) U245
- Philosophy Pre-Law (BA) U190
About the Major
- The Bachelor of Arts in Philosophy is recommended for students who want a basic education in the liberal arts, students preparing for a career in law or government, and students contemplating graduate study in philosophy or a related discipline.
- The Pre-Law concentration provides a strong preparation for law school through courses in logic, epistemology, ethics, political philosophy, and the philosophy of law. These courses cover a broad range of knowledge and skills that are of fundamental importance in the field of law.
- The Philosophical Ethics minor is designed to meet the demands of students majoring in nursing, education, business, political science, and biology. The complementary minor in philosophical ethics is for students primarily interested in applied ethics, ethical theory, and/or political philosophy.
- The Department of Philosophy also offers an online degree completion program for the B.A. in Philosophy. More information about this program can be found on UNCG’s Division of Continual Learning’s Web site.
What's Unique about Philosophy at UNCG?
- All professors hold a Ph.D. and teach undergraduate classes.
- Student-to-faculty ratio is about 5:1; students receive individual attention from recognized faculty.
- Three faculty members have been awarded the National Endowment for Humanities Fellowship.
- Five faculty members have published books in major university presses.
- Courses are available in both theoretical and applied philosophy.
- Many courses are available online as well as in traditional classroom settings.
Academic Clubs and Organizations
- The Philosophy Club in association with the Department of Philosophy and Phi Sigma Tau sponsors the Great Conversations Lecture Series. Lectures cover a wide range of philosophical topics and are open to students, faculty, and other members of the UNCG community.
- North Carolina Chapter of Phi Sigma Tau, National Honor Society
- Roger Schwirck Award for Excellence in Philosophy
- Funding for study abroad opportunities available through the Wyatt Lee Martin Memorial Fund
- Graduates commonly choose careers in education, science, law, or government.
- The Institute for Resources and Environment, MCI Communications Corp., Guilford Technical Community College, Banc One Corporation, and Encompass International all employ UNCG philosophy graduates.
- Other graduates have gone into professions including professor, attorney, and business owner.
- Philosophy graduates have had success applying to law schools and graduate schools for advanced degrees in philosophy.
- Typical graduate schools of philosophy include Arizona, Rochester, University of Massachusetts, University of Illinois, and Ohio State.
Professional Organizations and Accreditation
American Philosophical Association
Watch Our Video
We're the Spartans UNCG's spirit of self-discovery energizes our students and faculty and inspires them to do big things.