Address: 239 Curry Building
Web site: www.uncg.edu/phi
- Philosophy (BA) U245
- Philosophy Pre-Law (BA) Online U246
About the Major
The Philosophy Major is designed for those wanting a basic education in the liberal arts, students preparing for a career in law or government, and students contemplating graduate study in philosophy or a related discipline. The study of Philosophy strengthens logical reasoning, critical thinking, analytical skills, and ethical reasoning; it also heightens moral awareness.
The Prelaw concentration provides a strong preparation for law school covering a broad range of skills and knowledge that are of fundamental importance in the field of law.
General admission requirements for the online degree completion program
- 30 transferable college credits from one or more institutions OR
- Associate of Arts OR Associate of Science
- Minimum GPA of 2.5
This is an online degree completion program and as such has certain technical requirements. The program consists asynchronous courses, although opportunities for synchronous interaction are available.
Given the nature of the program, it is required that all students have the following:
- Regular access to a computer with Internet access
- A webcam
- A computer microphone
- Microsoft Office
What's Unique about Philosophy at UNCG?
- All professors hold a Ph.D. and teach undergraduate classes
- Student to faculty ratio is about 5:1; students receive individual attention from recognized faculty
- Three faculty members have been awarded the National Endowment for Humanities Fellowship
- Five faculty members have published books in major university presses
- Courses available in both theoretical and applied philosophy
Academic clubs and organizations
- The Department of Philosophy and Phi Sigma Tau sponsors the Great Conversations Lecture Series. The lectures cover a wide range of philosophical topics and are open to students, faculty, and other members of the UNCG community.
- North Carolina Chapter of Phi Sigma Tau, National Honor Society
The Philosophy Department offers: financial support for our majors studying abroad thru the Wyatt Lee Martin Memorial Fund; scholarship support through the Roger Schwirck Award for Excellence in Philosophy; academic opportunities through the submission of papers to symposiums and journals for publication; the Great Conversation discussion series for students and faculty; and a campus chapter of the international Phi Sigma Tau honor society.
- Graduates commonly choose careers in education, science, law, or government
- The Institute for Resources & Environment, MCI Communications Corp., Guilford Technical Community College, Banc One Corporation, and Encompass International all employ UNCG philosophy graduates
- Other graduates have gone into professions including professor, attorney and business owner
- Philosophy graduates have had success applying to law schools and graduate schools for advanced degrees in philosophy
- Typical graduate schools of philosophy include Arizona, Rochester, University of Massachusetts, University of Illinois, and Ohio State
Professional organizations and accreditation
American Philosophical Association
Watch Our Video
We're the Spartans UNCG's spirit of self-discovery energizes our students and faculty and inspires them to do big things.