Address: 210 Brown Building
Web site: https://mediastudies.uncg.edu/
- Media Studies (BA) U134
About the Major
The Media Studies major is designed to allow students to choose from careers in a number of media specialties. Following completion of a core of classes, students may choose from a wide variety of courses allowing students to explore different media fields. Depending on the courses selected, majors may choose to train toward careers in film or television production, broadcast journalism, writing for television or motion pictures, radio/television management, or post-graduate work.
Students from other majors may opt for a minor in Media Studies, choosing from a wide range of study topics or the radio minor, which provides more focused course options in the radio industry.
What's Unique about Media Studies at UNCG?
- Houses television studio, nonlinear editing facilities, and audio production studio
- Sponsors the Carolina Film and Video Festival, an international juried competition for independent and student artists every spring
- Campus student-operated radio station WUAG and campus cable TV channel, Spartan TV
- Varied opportunities and locations are available for students to do internships in radio-television-film and allied fields, such as CNN Atlanta, local motion picture shoots, and local radio and television stations.
- Many of our majors take advantage of UNCG’s strong International Studies program and study abroad. Our students have studied in locations such as Great Britain, Australia, Japan, and Costa Rica, among others.
Examples of jobs held by our alumni:
- Creator/executive producer, Up All Night
- Development director, Cross Creek Productions
- Unit production manager, Under the Dome
- Assistant producer, Prodco, Inc.
- Production supervisor, Dreamworks Animation
- Producer, the Today show
- Associate producer, No Country for Old Men, Burn After Reading
- Supervising producer, Ice Road Truckers
- Executive producer, digital media at Fox 8 Television, High Point, N.C.
- Producer, Fox 8 Television, High Point, N.C.
- Executive producer, News 14 Carolina, Greensboro, N.C.
- Anchor/reporter, News 14 Carolina, Raleigh, N.C.
- Producer, WNCT Television, Greenville, N.C.
- Director/writer, Rushaway Pictures
- Director of strategic sales and marketing, Entercom Corp.
- Freelance script supervisor, Los Angeles, Calif.
- Marketing and communications coordinator, Piedmont Triad Film Commission
- Film editor, Cut and Run, New York, N.Y.
- Steadicam owner/operator, Los Angeles, Calif.
- Creative director, Hewlett-Packard
Our graduates are employed throughout the United States in various capacities in film and television in news, production, anchoring and reporting, technician roles, writing, and Internet design.
Some students opt to continue their education in established graduate programs across the country such as University of California, Los Angeles, University of South Carolina, Chapman, Loyola-Marymount, Savannah College of Art and Design, Florida State University, and Chicago Institute for the Arts.
Watch Our Video
We're the Spartans UNCG's spirit of self-discovery energizes our students and faculty and inspires them to do big things.