Consumer, Apparel & Retail Studies
Address: 210 Stone Building
Web site: www.uncg.edu/bae/cars/
- Apparel Design (BS) U545
- Global Apparel and Related Industries (BS) U864
- Retailing and Consumer Studies (BS) U539
About the Major
- The Apparel Design concentration prepares students for careers in apparel and textile products design and production.
- The Global Apparel and Related Industries Studies concentration prepares students for apparel and related industry careers in the global arena.
- The Retailing and Consumer Studies concentration prepares students for careers in apparel marketing, distribution, and retailing.
What's Unique about CARS at UNCG?
- Interface with industry leaders in the heart of the consumer, apparel, and retailing industries
- Global competencies infused throughout the curriculum and enhanced through affordable study abroad opportunities
- Curriculum enhanced by the latest industry technology
- Scholarship support from industry organizations
- Personal guidance as faculty help you plan your career path
- Opportunity to be an integral part of the only program of its kind in North Carolina
Academic Clubs and Organizations
The CARS student organization, THREADS, aids in professional development and offers creative enrichment for students in the department. The organization provides guest speakers to address current practices in the field, field trips to facilitate professional development, and opportunities to develop leadership skills. The organization also produces the annual fashion show that showcases student design work and the retailing case study competition that results in students winning scholarships.
- Students gain a broad perspective from short-term domestic and international study trips and the opportunity to study abroad. Recent trips include New York, London, and Bangkok.
- Students study, work as interns, and interact with major corporations as part of the educational experience.
- Examples of Greensboro internships: Kayser-Roth, Design Archives, VF Jeanswear, Cone Denim, Friendly Center Marketing Office
- Examples of North Carolina internships: Wells Hosiery, Team Connections, Lotus, Cannon's Men's Shop, Ashlyn's Boutique, Inc.
- Examples of internships outside North Carolina: Kellwood Global (N.Y.), Fashion Snoops (N.Y.), Tommy Hilfiger Wholesale Division (N.Y.), T.J. Maxx (Los Angeles, Calif.), Ripon Athletic (Wis.), VF Nautica (N.Y.), Aurora Apparel (Seoul, Korea)
- Fall Symposium and Executives-in-Residence Week, sponsored by the Advisory Board
- Field trips: VF Corporation, Hanesbrands, Wells Hosiery, Renfro Corporation
- Trade shows: MAGIC Show, SEAMS, International Furniture Market, and the Atlanta Apparel Mart
- Competitions: Young Menswear Association Fashion Scholarship Fund, International Textile and Apparel Association design competition
Examples of companies who employ our graduates: Wrangler (designer), Belk (assistant product manager), The Limited (national products manager), Fruit of the Loom (designer), Hanesbrands (senior apparel development engineer), Levi Strauss and Co. (director of sales and retail marketing), Lands’ End (manufacturing specialist/quality/sourcing), National Wholesale Co. (buyer), Tommy Hilfiger (CAD designer)
Professional Certification and/or Industry Support
- American Apparel and Footwear Association for Certification in Apparel Product Design
- Young Menswear Association Fashion Scholarship Fund
- Industry Advisory Board
Watch Our Video
We're the Spartans UNCG's spirit of self-discovery energizes our students and faculty and inspires them to do big things.