The sociology degree provides majors with an understanding of how social structures and processes shape social life. The major explores social problems, culture, interaction, inequality, social institutions, and diversity. Majors receive strong foundations in writing, research, theory, and social policy.
- Students gain expertise comprehending social structure and social change.
- Graduates are candidates for public sector positions with health, social service, criminal justice, and corrections agencies; private sector positions in human resources, research, public relations, and more.
- Graduates work in law enforcement in Fairfax County, local federal probation, and the Guilford County Public Defender’s Office; for nonprofit organizations including Triangle Family Services; and in corporate America, including JPMorgan Chase.
- Graduates have earned advanced degrees from Northwestern University, Purdue, University of Chicago, Vanderbilt, and N.C. State.
- Graduates have attended law school at City University of New York, Elon, The University of North Carolina at Charlotte, and Wake Forest.
The Student Experience
- Students are taught and mentored by faculty widely recognized for their teaching and research.
- Core courses in social inequalities, particularly race, gender, and social class.
- Study abroad opportunities with courses taught internationally in places such as Cameroon, France, Germany, India, Italy, Mexico, Taiwan, and Russia.
- Participation in academic clubs and organizations including Alpha Kappa Delta (an international sociology honor society) and the Sociology Club.
- Opportunities with the UNCG Center for Housing and Community Studies, a research, evaluation, and technical assistance center.
- Internships in a variety of public and private organizations including the Center for Creative Leadership, Legal Aid of North Carolina, Greensboro Police Department, Guilford County Sheriff’s Office, and Family Service of the Piedmont.
Accolades & Accomplishments
- Numerous awards and recognition for faculty teaching and research.
Sociology (BA) (LIC)Criminology
Director of Undergraduate Studies
Associate Professor of Sociology
Department of Sociology
Campus Address: 337 Graham Building
Mailing Address: PO Box 26170 Greensboro, NC 27402-6170