The Recreation and Parks Management degree teaches skills in management, leadership, program planning, community inclusion, healthy living, and evaluation for all ages, abilities, and backgrounds. Specialties within this growing field are gerontology, youth development, parks and forestry, public recreation, specialized facility management, commercial enterprising, therapeutic recreation, event planning, sports management, resource management, and administration.
- Graduates work as therapeutic recreation specialists, recreation programmers, aquatic therapists, athletic program supervisors, inclusion facilitators, campus recreation coordinators, community center managers, event planners, park managers, senior center coordinators, and youth activity directors, to name a few.
- Graduates entered master’s and doctorate programs in community recreation management, therapeutic recreation, occupational therapy, social work, and public administration, among others.
- Graduates are eligible for national credentialing exam as Certified Therapeutic Recreation Specialists.
The Student Experience
- Service learning and volunteer opportunities offer hands-on practical experience in myriad professional and community settings.
- Formal fieldwork placements totaling over 600 hours provide students extensive experience in the field prior to graduation.
- Opportunities to develop professional networks prior to graduation.
- Undergraduate Research Assistantships are available to support students as they gain valuable research experience by working with faculty members.
Accolades & Accomplishments
- Faculty are credentialed and nationally recognized as exemplary teachers, advisers, and scholars.
- Program has been accredited continuously since 1981.
- Students consistently earn scholarships and awards from state and national professional associations.
Accreditations & Affiliations
- Council on Accreditation of Parks, Recreation, Tourism, and Related Professions
- American Therapeutic Recreation Association
- National Recreation and Park Association
- North Carolina Recreational Therapy Association
- North Carolina Recreation and Park Association
- The Academy of Leisure Sciences
Major & Concentration(s)
Recreation & Parks Management (BS)
- Community Recreation & Event Planning
- Therapeutic Recreation
Ms. Kimberly Miller
Director of Undergraduate Studies