Public health, in contrast to clinical or medical professions that treat illness in individuals, is a profession centered on protecting the health of broad population groups through the prevention of illness and promotion of healthy lifestyles. Our program provides a foundation in the core areas of public health: social and behavioral sciences, epidemiology, public health statistics, environmental health, and health policy/administration. Students who earn this degree can positively influence the health of individuals and communities with skills to plan and implement strategies to prevent health problems and maintain healthy lifestyles.
- Graduates enter careers in administration, education, health sciences, human relations, and public service, as well as in other governmental, community-based and/or nonprofit settings.
- Graduates enter graduate programs at universities including UNCG, The Bloomberg School of Health at Johns Hopkins University, and Indiana University Bloomington.
- Community Health Education graduates are eligible for the national credentialing exam as certified health education specialists.
The Student Experience
- In this program, students:Assess individual and community needs for health education.
- Plan and implement health education strategies, interventions, and programs.
- Conduct evaluation and research related to health education.
- Administer health education strategies, interventions, and programs.
- Serve as a health education resource person.
- Communicate and advocate for health and health education.
- Learn from expert faculty engaged in research that adds dimension to classroom teaching.
- Participate in a supervised senior internship.
- Engage in practical experiences with community partners.
- Join clubs and organizations including Health Occupations Student Association, N.C. Society for Public Health Education, N.C. Chapter of the American Association for Health Education, honor society Eta Sigma Gamma, and American Public Health Association.
A secondary admissions process requires application to the major after admission to the university and completion of several prerequisites. Visit phe.uncg.edu for more information.
Public Health Education (BS)
- Community Health Education
- Health Studies (online degree completion only)
Carrie Rosario DrPH, MPH, CHES