The philosophy degree is for students who want a strong foundation in the liberal arts, wish to sharpen their critical thinking and moral reasoning skills, are preparing for a career in law or government, or are contemplating graduate study in philosophy or a related discipline. Students will enhance their moral awareness and learn to analyze, question orthodoxies, solve problems, and express themselves clearly and logically. The pre-law concentration prepares students for the rigors of law school with courses in logic, epistemology, ethics, political philosophy, and the philosophy of law.
- Careers in law, medicine, psychology, government, business, public service, applied ethics, and many other fields.
- Preparation for graduate studies or law school.
The Student Experience
- Study with nationally recognized faculty, including major scholars in areas such as ethics, philosophy of science, philosophy of law, metaphysics, political philosophy, and philosophy of religion.
- Participate in undergraduate research in a variety of forms.
- Participate in the N.C. Chapter of Phi Sigma Tau, a national honor society, and an informal philosophy club open to majors from all academic areas.
- Courses are available on the fundamental problems and methods of philosophy, the classics of philosophical literature, and the major figures in the history of philosophy.
- Take online courses in addition to those in the traditional classroom setting.
- Financial assistance for study abroad is available through the Wyatt Lee Martin Memorial Fund.
- Participate in The Great Conversation, a department-sponsored series of talks by UNCG philosophy faculty and other distinguished scholars.
- A visiting speaker’s program features prominent scholars who address current issues at the intersection of political philosophy, ethics, and the philosophy of law.
Accolades & Accomplishments
- Phi Sigma Tau International Honor Society
Major & Concentration(s)
(Online option available)
Department of Philosophy
239 Curry Building
PO Box 26170
Greensboro, NC 27402-6170