The Peace and Conflict Studies (PACS) program takes a dynamic and interdisciplinary approach to the study of peace and the practice of conflict management, resolution, and transformation. The graduate and undergraduate programs develop knowledge and provide high-quality, professional training in conflict transformation, resolution, and management. Our program focuses on peace building and conflict transformation aimed at solving problems in a variety of social settings, as well as providing the theoretical foundations for professional practice in human rights, social justice, restorative practice, and cultural awareness.
Graduates become leaders in conflict transformation and change management in many settings. Potential career opportunities include:
- Humanitarian action
- Educator: K-12 and higher education
- Restorative justice, trauma, and healing
- Legal/criminal justice/juvenile justice
- Diplomat/peace builder
- Social change
- Law enforcement
- Community building/organizing/development
- Medical/health care
The Student Experience
- Students gain perspective on the challenges facing individuals, families, organizations, communities, and social and political systems – locally and globally.
- Students are exposed to an array of techniques and strategies for nonviolent, constructive solutions to conflicts that arise in diverse personal, professional, organizational, and community environments.
- A practicum allows students to gain hands-on experience in peace and conflict practice.
- Study abroad is encouraged, including to Germany (University of Konstanz), Northern Ireland/United Kingdom (University of Ulster), Sweden (Linnaeus University and Malmo University), South Africa (University of Stellenbosch), Australia (University of Western Sydney and Australian Catholic University), and Denmark (University of Copenhagen).
outreach and service opportunities
- Landlord-Tenant Dispute Program, offered collaboratively with the city of Greensboro
- Center for New North Carolinians, a collaboration in scholarship and community engagement
- Partnership with Transcend USA, whose mission is to bring about a more peaceful world by offering education/ training and research to transform conflicts nonviolently
Peace and Conflict Studies (BA)