Our dynamic program reflects the constantly changing field of nutrition. Low student-to-faculty ratio allows for personal attention in teaching, advising, and mentoring. We offer graduate programs leading to master’s and doctoral degrees, and our graduates enter all areas of nutrition and dietetics.
- Human Nutrition and Dietetics prepares students for positions in clinical and community health settings, food and nutritional management industries, and graduate programs in nutrition and public health. Graduates have the necessary prerequisites for admission into the post-baccalaureate certificate dietetic internship program required to become a registered dietitian.
- Nutrition and Wellness prepares students for careers in voluntary and community health organizations, public health nutrition, health care, government, worksite wellness programs, and the fitness industry.
- Nutrition Science prepares students for medical, dental, and other health-related professional schools; graduate programs in biomedical and nutrition sciences; and employment in the biotechnology, food, nutritional supplement, and pharmaceutical industries.
- Graduate employers include Moses H. Cone Memorial Hospital; the Women, Infants, and Children (WIC) Supplemental Nutrition Program; departments of public health; Winthrop University; The University of Tennessee, Knoxville; University of Kentucky; Health and Human Services Office of Disease Prevention and Health Promotion; and Cooperative Extension.
The Student Experience
- All nutrition students have the opportunity to engage in undergraduate research with faculty and participate in community nutrition activities requested by the surrounding community.
- Eligible students can conduct disciplinary honors projects.
- Many undergraduate courses have a community engagement component that affords students the opportunity to gain valuable experience.
- Human nutrition and dietetics graduates are eligible to apply for acceptance into a dietetic internship.
- Students may participate in the Nutrition Club, Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics, NC Dietetic Association, and the NC Academy of Science.
Accolades & Accomplishments
- Many of our students receive national awards for their research, including the Emerging Leader in Nutrition Science and Obesity Research Interest Section Award in the American Society of Nutrition Poster Competition; 2015 ASN Travel Award, sponsored by the FASEB-MARC program; American Public Health Association Student Assembly Scholarship Award; Society for Nutrition Education and Behavior Foundation Scholarship; and Lloyd International Honors Student Excellence.
- One of our PhD graduates is responsible for directing a historic position paper on nutrition and athletic performance.
Accreditations & Affiliations
- Accreditation Council on Education in Nutrition and Dietetics
- Human Nutrition & Dietetics
- Nutrition & Wellness
- Nutrition Science
Associate Chair, Director of Undergraduate Studies