Media Studies focuses on the creative production and critical consumption of a range of moving-image media and prepares students for careers in many media specialties. Majors have opportunities to study and produce narrative and documentary film, interdisciplinary media productions, television, and video journalism.
- Graduates have gone on to CBS New York; Lionsgate; Cross Creek Pictures; Trailer Park Productions; Fox Broadcasting Co.; WRAL-TV in Raleigh, N.C.; WGHP-TV in High Point, N.C.; freelance positions as producers, directors, and assistant directors in broadcasting; and motion picture and television production.
- Graduates have earned advanced degrees at schools including the University of Southern California, UCLA, and Savannah College of Art and Design.
The Student Experience
- Take classes from nationally and internationally recognized filmmakers and scholars.
- Access facilities that include a television studio, nonlinear editing space, and audio production studio.
- Craft your own program of study, drawing from courses on various aspects of film, video, and digital media production: media and screenwriting; media theory, history, and criticism; and news reporting and analysis.
- Participate in film, television, radio, print, and Web-based media internships.
- Get hands-on experience at WUAG, a student-run campus radio station, and Spartan TV, a student-run campus television channel.
- Participate in the Study Abroad program.
Accolades & Accomplishments
- Faculty includes several distinguished scholars and creative artists, including Dr. David Cook, who wrote A History of Narrative Film, the definitive history of motion pictures, used worldwide.