Math and statistics majors are technically competent and well-grounded in mathematical theory and have opportunities for employment in a variety of fields. The BA program allows students to specialize in mathematics and at the same time earn teacher licensure, follow a broad liberal arts program, or specialize in a second area. The BS program is more technically oriented and provides solid preparation for work or study in mathematics or a related field.
- Opportunities available in industry, government, business, and secondary school teaching; graduates found employment with Atlantic BT, Evonik Industries, Zenergy Technologies, MercuryGate International, Guilford County Schools, Johnston County Schools, and IBM.
- Career tracks include actuary with insurance companies; a data analyst with pharmaceutical, biotechnology, or health care companies; quality assurance specialist with engineering companies; or checking compliance for quality specifications in government agencies such as FDA, EPA, or USDA.
- Excellent preparation for an advanced degree in many areas, including actuarial sciences, computer science, economics, engineering, law, mathematics, operations research, and statistics; our graduates have gone on to Wake Forest University, Texas A&M University, Smith College, Clemson University, and the University of Washington.
The Student Experience
- Conduct research along with faculty members during summer Research Experiences for Undergraduates.
- Serve as peer-tutors in the Math Emporium Lab.
- Work on data analysis projects for organizations such as the Greensboro Police Department and Cone Health.
- Meet other math majors in a relaxed setting in the Math Club and the student chapter of the Association for Women in Mathematics.
- Earn a bachelor’s and master’s degree at an accelerated rate.
Accolades & Accomplishments
- Our faculty are active researchers and have received grants from the Joseph M. Bryan Foundation,the National Institutes of Health, the National Science Foundation, the National Security Agency, NC Quest, the Simons Foundation, and others.
- The department offers research opportunities to undergraduate students, including the NSF-supported math and biology Research Experience for Undergraduates. Several students have received awards and recognitions for research, presented at conferences, and published journal articles with faculty mentors.
Major & Concentration(s)
Mathematics (BA) (BS)
- High school licensure (BA)
- Statistics (BS)
Senior Academic Professional