Our undergraduate programs develop future practitioners and teachers in the field of Kinesiology. We offer a four-year Bachelor of Science (B.S.) degree in Kinesiology for undergraduate students, or a four-year B.S. degree in Physical Education and Health Teacher Education (PEHTE) leading to K-12 licensure. Students graduating with a Bachelor’s degree in Kinesiology can go on to careers in sports coaching, strength and conditioning, exercise instruction, personal training, cardiac rehab, mental skills training, and sports medicine. Students graduating with a Bachelor’s degree in PEHTE can go on to careers in teaching, athletic directors, principals, and professions working with children. A Bachelor of Science in Kinesiology also offers a pathway to further studies at the graduate level.
- Graduates enter careers in sport coaching, strength and conditioning, exercise instruction, personal training, cardiac rehab, mental skills training, sports medicine, physical education and teacher education, and various health professions.
- Alumni employers include the YMCA, Moses Cone, Wake Forest Baptist Medical Center, Guilford County Schools, city of Greensboro, World’s Gym, Gold’s Gym, and United Healthcare.
- Graduates continue their education at schools including UNCG, East Carolina University, Duke University, and The University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill.
The Student Experience
- Students are encouraged to do a formal internship for credit through the Department of Kinesiology. This experiential learning opportunity offers practical experience in professional/community settings and provides experience appropriate to the student’s career goals.
- Professional development opportunities include leadership seminars and conventions.
- Students gain valuable experience with assistantships that promote helping older people exercise (HOPE), physical fitness in children, fibromyalgia research and activities, and physical education community outreach.
- Numerous campus activities and the KIN Club, a student-led organization promoting healthful living through service and leadership.
Accolades & Accomplishments
- Faculty members of the Kinesiology Department are committed to integrating community service into many aspects of research and teaching.
- Several faculty members have ongoing community programs, often calling on student volunteers to help their operation.
Accreditations & Affiliations
- Member of American Kinesiology Association
Students enter the program as Pre-Kinesiology, or Pre-Physical Education Health Teacher Education. Once they complete select courses, and if they have the minimum 2.5 major GPA, they can apply for entry into their major. The application is internal and reviewed by the department, not UNCG. The major applications are not competitive. As long as students have the requirements met, they will move from pre-major to major.
- Physical Education & Health Teacher Education (LIC) (BS)
Director of Undergraduate Studies
Administrative Assistant for Undergraduate Programs