The Department of Kinesiology's programs develop future practitioners and teachers in the field of kinesiology. We offer a four-year bachelor of science (B.S.) degree in kinesiology for undergraduate students, with the option to pursue a specialized concentration in physical education and health teacher education leading to K-12 licensure. The kinesiology degree offers many career opportunities and also is a pathway to graduate-level studies.
- Graduates enter careers in sport coaching, strength and conditioning, exercise instruction, personal training, cardiac rehab, mental skills training, sports medicine, physical education and teacher education, and various health professions.
- Alumni employers include the YMCA, Moses Cone, Wake Forest Baptist Medical Center, Guilford County Schools, city of Greensboro, World’s Gym, Gold’s Gym, and United Healthcare.
- Graduates continue their education at schools including UNCG, East Carolina University, Duke University, and The University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill.
The Student Experience
- Students are encouraged to do a formal internship for credit through the Department of Kinesiology. This experiential learning opportunity offers practical experience in professional/community settings and provides experience appropriate to the student’s career goals.
- Professional development opportunities include leadership seminars and conventions.
- Students gain valuable experience with assistantships that promote helping older people exercise (HOPE), physical fitness in children, fibromyalgia research and activities, and physical education community outreach.
- Numerous campus activities and the KIN Club, a student-led organization promoting healthful living through service and leadership.
Accolades & Accomplishments
- Faculty members of the Kinesiology Department are committed to integrating community service into many aspects of research and teaching.
- Several faculty members have ongoing community programs, often calling on student volunteers to help their operation.
Accreditations & Affiliations
Member of American Kinesiology Association
Students enter the program as pre-kinesiology majors. Once they complete select courses, and if they have a minimum 2.5 GPA, they can then apply for entry to the kinesiology major. The application is internal and reviewed by the department.
- Physical Education & Health Teacher Ed. (LIC)
Administrative Assistant for Undergraduate Programs