It's common for students to enter college unsure of an academic path. Students who enter UNCG without a declared major have the support of an academic adviser from the Students First Office knowledgeable about the university's academic areas, opportunities, resources, and policies. Exploratory students and advisers meet a minimum of twice each semester to discuss interests and strengths, establish goals, and assess progress. UNCG's exploratory model allows students to explore interests while also accumulating general education requirements and staying on track for graduation.
The Exploratory Experience
- Customized advising to begin planning personal, academic, and career goals.
- Support identifying courses, programs, and co-curricular opportunities at the university and in the surrounding community.
- Access to campus resources to learn the skills needed for academic success.
- Participation in Foundations for Learning courses, which support the academic and personal success of students in the first year of college.
- Career Services Center advising to explore connections between academic majors and career aspirations.
- Participation in the UNCG Explorers living-learning community, designed to help first-year exploratory students make decisions about an academic major based on career aspirations, passions, and skills.
- A strategy to select courses that allow for exploration of academic areas of interest while also fulfilling university requirements.
- Discovery of personal values, interests, and abilities; identification and exploration of majors and careers that resonate with them; self-knowledge to select a program of study that reflects goals.
Students First Office
Campus Address: 061 McIver
Building Mailing Address: PO Box 26170 Greensboro, NC 27402-6170