It’s very common for students to begin college without declaring a specific major. Students who enter UNCG without a declared major have the support of an academic adviser from the Students First Office. SFO advisers are knowledgeable about the university’s many academic areas, opportunities, resources, and policies. Exploratory majors and advisers meet a minimum of twice each semester to discuss interests and strengths, establish goals, and assess progress. UNCG’s Exploratory model allows students to explore interests while also earning credit toward general education requirements and staying on track for graduation.
The Exploratory Experience
• Customized advising to begin planning personal, academic, and career goals.
• Support identifying courses, programs, and co-curricular opportunities at the university and in the surrounding community.
• Access to campus resources to learn the skills needed for academic success.
• Enrollment in Exploratory-specific First Year Experience courses, which promote self, major, and career exploration and support the academic and personal success of students in their first year of college.
• Career/professional development coaching to explore connections between academic majors and career aspirations.
• A strategy to select courses that allow for exploration of academic areas of interest while also fulfilling university requirements.
• Discovery of personal values, interests, and abilities; identification and exploration of majors and careers that resonate with them; self-knowledge to select a program of study that reflects goals.
Associate Director for Academic Advising
Students First Office
101 Forney Student Success Commons
PO Box 26170
Greensboro, NC 27402-6170