Environmental & Sustainability Studies is an interdisciplinary program that fosters understanding of the relationships between human societies and the natural, physical, and biological settings for life on Earth. Students combine the study of ecosystems, pollution, climate, energy, and other environmental and natural resource issues with social sciences such as environmental politics, economics, sociology, and law. Students also consider the ethical implications of environmental problems and their possible solutions in the context of the humanities with courses in history, the arts, and ethics.The program curricula build on the unique definition of sustainability at UNCG, where academics, operations, and outreach are conducted with careful attention to the enduring interconnectedness of social equity, the environment, the economy, and aesthetics.
- Graduates are prepared for a variety of career opportunities that require a broad range of knowledge about environmental and sustainability issues.
- Careers are available in environmental education, sustainability programs, recreation and tourism, environmental journalism, scientific research, environmental activism and lobbying, and government and public policy.
- Employers include local, state, and federal agencies; business; and nonprofit organizations.
The Student Experience
- Work with faculty from across campus to gather information about environmental problems from multiple disciplines, think critically about the causes of environmental problems, propose effective solutions, and communicate ideas clearly.
- A flexible program that allows students to select courses related to their personal and career interests.
- Research assistantships or opportunities to work closely with a professor on a research project.
- Numerous pathways to a minor or major in other fields.
- Opportunities to intern with organizations including the Greensboro Science Center, National Park Service, Piedmont Land Conservancy, UNCG Sustainability Office, and more.
- A student organization, UNCGreen, dedicated to making UNCG more sustainable and environmentally friendly.
- Support to participate in the Lloyd International Honors College and short- or long-term study abroad.
Accreditations & Affiliations
- Association for Environmental Studies & Sciences
- Association for the Advancement of Sustainability in Higher Education
- Council of Environmental Deans & Directors
- National Council for Science and the Environment
Environmental & Sustainability Studies (BA)
Aaron S. Allen