The interdisciplinary Environment & Sustainability degree fosters understanding of the relationships between human societies and the natural, physical, and biological settings in which life on Earth exists. Choose from two concentrations: Natural Sciences and Equity, Development & Ethics. Program curricula build on the unique definition of sustainability at UNCG, where “Academics, operations, and outreach are conducted with careful attention to the enduring interconnectedness of social equity, the environment, the economy, and aesthetics.”
- Graduates are prepared for a variety of career opportunities that require a broad range of knowledge about environmental and sustainability issues.
- Careers are available in environmental education, sustainability programs, recreation and tourism, environmental journalism, research, environmental activism and lobbying, and government and public policy.
- Employers include local, state, and federal agencies; business; and nonprofit organizations.
The Student Experience
- Work with faculty from across campus to gather information about environmental problems from multiple disciplines, think critically about the causes of environmental problems, propose effective solutions, and communicate ideas clearly.
- A flexible program that allows students to select courses related to their personal and career interests.
- Research assistantships or opportunities to work closely with a professor on a research project.
- Numerous pathways to a minor or major in other fields.
- Opportunities to intern with organizations such as the Greensboro Science Center, National Park Service, Piedmont Land Conservancy, UNCG Sustainability Office, and more.
- A student organization, UNC Green, dedicated to making UNCG more sustainable and environmentally friendly.
- Support to participate in the Lloyd International Honors College and short- or long-term study abroad.
Accreditations & Affiliations
- Association for Environmental Studies & Sciences
- Association for the Advancement of Sustainability in Higher Education
- National Council for Science and the Environment
Major & Concentration(s)
Environment & Sustainability (BA)
- Equity, Development, and Ethics
- Natural Sciences