The School of Theatre offers a full range of liberal arts and professional degree programs that prepare undergraduate students for a variety of career opportunities in theatre. The degrees provide students with a vital mix of coursework that combines theory and practice and encourages the development of skills and talents.
- Alumni have pursued careers on Broadway and with CBS, Jim Henson Productions, Actors Theatre of Louisville, Zena Group Resident Company, and more.
- Many graduates continue their education with master’s and doctoral degrees at schools including Yale School of Drama, Florida State University, New York University Tisch School of the Arts, and Carnegie Mellon University.
- Alumni include Grammy and Emmy winners; Broadway stage managers; produced playwrights; working directors, actors, designers, and technicians; and faculty and staff at many colleges and universities.
The Student Experience
- Alpha Psi Omega (the National Theatre Student Honorary Organization) sponsors activities including an annual awards party and talent show fundraiser.
- The School of Theatre has an ongoing relationship with Triad Stage, offering internships in stage management, assistant directing, acting, and theatre management.
- Acting opportunities are available with UNC School of the Arts film projects.
- Production and performance opportunities are offered by the North Carolina Theatre for Young People and Theatre 232 (summer theatre).
- Participation in annual Performance Showcase in New York City can be obtained by audition.
- New York City trip to make connections with professional alumni, see Broadway productions, and workshop with theatre artists.
- Arts-based living community, “Studio 91” in Cone Residence Hall, featuring music, theater, and dance practice rooms; music composition computer lab; drawing lounge; and arts-related programs and events.
Accolades & Accomplishments
Our notable alumni include:
- Bonnie Becker: Production stage manager (“School of Rock,” “Billy Elliot,” “Legally Blonde”)
- Jonathan Bohun Brady: Artistic director, Bartlett Theater in Durham, N.C.
- David Byrd: Managing director, Virginia Stage Company in Norfolk, Va.
- Chris Chalk: Stage and screen actor (“Fences,” “Detroit,” “12 Years a Slave”)
- Julie DeVore: Assistant production manager (“School of Rock”)
- Joseph Forbes: Broadway scene designer (“The Producers,” “Hairspray,” “Book of Mormon”)
- Marcy Bethel Frank: Costume design (“In the Next Room,” “American Idiot”)
- Hugh Hysell: Producer and actor (“Vanya and Sonia and Masha and Spike”)
- Beth Leavel: Actress and Tony Award winner (“The Drowsy Chaperone,” “Bandstand,” “Mama Mia”)
- Anne Pitoniak: Actress (“’night, Mother”)
Accreditations & Affiliations
- National Association of Schools of Theatre
- Southeastern Theatre Conference
- United States Institute for Theatre Technology Inc.
- North Carolina Theatre Conference
- All BFA programs include secondary admission requirements, including an audition or interview. Admission to these programs is very competitive.
Drama (BA) (BFA)
- Design & Technical Production
- Theatre Arts Education (LIC)