The Consumer, Apparel, and Retail Studies (CARS) major prepares students for the broad scope of the industry and produces graduates who understand designing, manufacturing, marketing, and retailing fashion and apparel-related products. Students can expect to be prepared for a global fashion career in design and retailing with a focus on satisfying consumer demand.
Graduates work in a variety of positions including:
- Graduates work in a variety of positions including:
- Belk, assistant product manager
- The Limited, national products manager
- Fruit of the Loom, designer
- HanesBrands, senior apparel development engineer
- Levi Strauss and Co., director of sales and retail marketing
- Lands’ End, manufacturing specialist/quality/sourcing
- National Wholesale Co., buyer
- Tommy Hilfiger, CAD designer
- Wrangler, designer
The Student Experience
- All students in the CARS major are required to complete an internship to help them become aware of industry hiring trends and to ensure that students feel prepared for the role of professional business person.
- The CARS Industry Advisory Board, comprised of industry leaders, assists the department with industry issues and provides students with professional development opportunities.
- The student organization THREADS provides guest speakers to address current practices in the field, field trips to facilitate professional development, and opportunities to develop leadership skills. The organization also produces an annual fashion show that showcases student design work and a retailing case study competition.
- CARS majors interact with industry leaders through professional development opportunities like the Internship Poster Competition and the Annual CARS Industry Summit.
- Global competencies are infused throughout the curriculum and enhanced through affordable study abroad opportunities.
- Students can receive scholarship support from industry organizations.
Accolades & Accomplishments
- For the fifth consecutive year, CARS ranks among the nation’s top fashion programs according to Fashion-Schools.org.
- CARS ranks No. 4 among fashion programs at public and private universities in the South and is one of the top 15 programs at public universities across the nation for both fashion merchandising and fashion design.
Accreditations & Affiliations
- American Apparel and Footwear Association
- National Retail Federation
- Young Menswear Association Fashion Scholarship Fund
Consumer, Apparel, and Retail Studies (BS)
- Apparel Design
- Retailing & Consumer Studies
Dr. Nancy Hodges