Chemistry addresses the advancement of knowledge in areas critical to the future of society, including health, comfort, and prosperity. It is a core subject area at the basis of advancements in the understanding of living systems and modern materials that make up our surroundings. The BA degree provides preparation for those planning to enter medicine or dentistry, secondary school teaching, or various vocations within the chemical industry. The BS degree requires advanced courses and provides thorough undergraduate training and an excellent background for graduate work or a career in the chemical industry.
- Faculty positions at New Mexico State University, Francis Marion University, and Barnard College.
- Certifying scientist, Ameritox, Greensboro, N.C.
- Laboratory manager, Mass Spectrometry Facility, UNC-Chapel Hill.
- Staff scientist in analytical sciences/metabolomics at the David H. Murdock Research Institute in Kannapolis, N.C.
- Analytical/R&D lab manager for Qvape Juice, Raleigh, N.C.
- Quality and regulatory safety associate with New Chapter Inc., a subsidiary of Procter & Gamble, Brattleboro, Vt.
The Student Experience
- Students participate in research internships and a chemistry/biochemistry internship course, and work as lab assistants and research assistants.
- Student clubs and organizations include Skeptical Chemists Club (American Chemical Society Student Affiliates), which organizes lectures and seminars for students and arranges social outings, and the Environmental Awareness Foundation, which promotes responsible scientific practices to maintain a healthy ecosystem.
- Students are involved in faculty research projects and as co-authors or presenters at national conferences.
- Those earning the B.S. in chemistry must be certified by the American Chemical Society as having completed rigorous requirements for undergraduate professional training.
Accolades & Accomplishments
- With a strong emphasis on teaching, active faculty have won two UNCG Alumni Teaching Excellence Awards, four College of Arts and Sciences Teaching Excellence awards, and one UNC Board of Governors Teaching Excellence Award.
- Faculty research has been funded by National Institutes of Health, National Science Foundation, the N.C. Biotechnology Center, and the American Chemical Society Petroleum Research Fund.
Accreditations & Affiliations
- The American Chemical Society
Major & Concentration(s)
- Chemistry Research
Professor and Director of Undergraduate Studies