The Department of Biology is committed to providing excellent and comprehensive instruction at both the undergraduate and graduate levels. We offer a full range of courses to students pursuing a degree in biology, as well as to non-biology majors interested in the biological sciences.
- Graduates are employed in a wide range of fields and are well prepared for further study in graduate school or in health-related professions such as medicine, dentistry, and veterinary medicine.
- Employers include Syngenta, LabCorp, state of North Carolina, and cities of Greensboro, Charlotte, and Burlington.
- Graduates have extended their study at Duke University, Wake Forest University, North Carolina State University, East Carolina University, and other University of North Carolina system schools.
The Student Experience
- Students experience the opportunity to do undergraduate research projects in faculty research labs through a formal undergraduate research course. Undergraduate research is both lab and field based.
- Students are encouraged to gain research experience through independent study with a faculty member and to develop strong communication skills with writing- and speaking-intensive lecture and laboratory courses.
- A variety of upper-level course content is offered, including virology, neurobiology, evolution, the environment, microbiology, and cancer.
- Collaboration with other departments — such as nutrition, chemistry and biochemistry, mathematics, physics, and geography — expands educational opportunities across disciplines.
Accolades & Accomplishments
- Department has received National Science Foundation and National Institute of Health research grants.
- Faculty are recognized with national teaching and mentoring awards.
- Facilities include confocal, fluorescence, and electron microscopes; a Plant and Pollinator Center; environmental sampling and analytical equipment; nucleic acid sequencers; advanced documentation systems for biotechnology; growth chambers; and animal-care facilities.
Major & Concentration(s)
Biology (BA) (BS) (LIC)
- Environmental Biology
- Human Biology