- Graduates enter careers in design, museums and galleries; working as independent artists; and other art-related fields.
- Graduates go to graduate schools including N.C. State University, New York University, California Institute of the Arts, Portland State University, and many others.
The Student Experience
- Studio art students have numerous opportunities to show their work on campus in the school gallery and off campus in a UNCG space downtown.
- Many students intern with a variety of local businesses and firms.
- Arts-based living community, “Studio 91” in Cone Residence Hall, featuring music, theater, and dance practice rooms; music composition computer lab; drawing lounge; and arts-related programs and events.
- Students can join the Student Art League, National Art Education Association, and UNCG’s fine arts and literary magazine, Coraddi.
- Art facilities are housed in the state-of-the-art Gatewood Studio Arts Building.
- As a part of UNCG, the Weatherspoon Art Museum is recognized as one of the Southeast’s best museums and is dedicated to providing teaching and learning opportunities.
Accolades & Accomplishments
- Faculty in the School of Art exhibit both nationally and internationally (New York, Berlin, Cairo, Montreal, Beijing, and other sites worldwide) while remaining committed to teaching and acknowledged by UNCG Teaching Excellence Awards.
- The UNCG College of Visual and Performing Arts is the largest arts college in North Carolina and one of the largest in the Southeast.
Students enter the art program as BA students, concentrating in Studio Art or in Art History. Studio Art students interested in pursuing a BFA in a Studio Art concentration (Painting, Sculpture & Ceramics, New Media & Design, Photography, Printmaking & Drawing) or the BFA in Art Education will apply to those programs by portfolio review once they have completed the Foundations sequence of courses, generally in their third semester.
Major & Concentration(s)
- Art History
- Studio Art
Art Education (BFA (LIC.)
Studio Art (BFA)
- New Media & Design
- Printmaking & Drawing
- Sculpture & Ceramics
Administrative Support Associate