Transfer & Adult Students
Transfer and adult students, we encourage you to...
We want to let you know about the great things happening here. When you sign up for SpartanLink, we'll mail you information about UNCG and invitations to campus events. SpartanLink also gives you access to our online application and content based on your interests.
Plan your campus visit
UNCG is known for its beautiful campus and outstanding facilities. But don’t just take our word for it—visit! We offer daily tours, open houses, and other events for prospective students.
UNCG welcomes about 1,500 new transfer and adult students each year. We encourage you to become part of our educational community. Please explore our online resources and remember that we have staff members available to help answer any questions. We also invite you to attend a Transfer Information Program information session to learn more about UNCG and the admission process.
Most transfer students have questions about how their credits will transfer. The University Registrar's Office can help.
Are you considered a transfer student?
A transfer student has 24 or more college credit hours from a regionally accredited institution that will successfully transfer.
A freshman transfer student has fewer than 24 college credit hours from a regionally accredited institution that will successfully transfer.
A freshman transfer must meet requirements under both transfer and freshman admissions programs and must submit an official SAT or ACT score.
An adult student is someone who is age 24 or older and may have had a break in formal education. Students in this category may have some of the traditional admissions requirements waived upon demonstration of prior educational, professional, or life experiences that have prepared them to succeed in UNCG's academic environment.
A second degree-seeking student has earned a baccalaureate degree from a regionally accredited college or university.
Former students are those who have previously attended UNCG (without completing a degree) during a regular academic term, summer session not included. If you completed a degree at UNCG or another institution, please see our Second Degree page.
About the transfer class
UNCG received 4,338 transfer applications for the fall 2012 semester; 2,132 of these students were admitted. There were 1,687 first-time transfer students in the fall 2012 class. The average GPA for admitted transfer students was a 3.09.
Traditional transfer applicants are required to:
- Have 24 semester hours or more of transferable college credit from a regionally accredited institution. Students with fewer than 24 hours must submit SAT or ACT scores for evaluation and must meet freshman admission standards.
- Be eligible to return to the last institution attended.
- Meet the UNC system Minimum Course Requirements (MCR) for high school preparation.
* Applicants who are missing one of the required high school units (MCR) or have earned a GED must do one of the following:
- Graduate from a regionally accredited two-year institution with an Associate in Arts (AA), Associate in Science (AS), or Associate in Fine Arts (AFA) degree.
- Complete a minimum of 6 semester hours (or 9 quarter hours) each of college level English, mathematics, science, social science, and college transfer electives. Students who graduated from high school in 2004 or later must substitute 6 semester hours (or 9 quarter hours) of foreign language for the electives. All courses must be taken at an accredited institution with grades of "C" or better.
The Office of Undergraduate Admissions must receive all application materials by the dates listed. (Please visit Application Instructions and Deadlines for more information.) We accept transfer students for fall and spring semesters. UNCG operates under rolling admission for transfers and adults, so the earlier you apply, the better. You will be notified in writing of the decision.
International students should visit the International Programs Center for additional requirements.
Students who are interested in applying to Lloyd International Honors College should note that a separate application is required. Please visit the LIHC site to learn more.
Once you have been admitted, you can follow the steps listed in SpartanLink. This will guide you through all the steps you need to complete to enroll at UNCG.
Watch Our Video
Student Life at UNCG: Here's a look at what life is like after class at UNCG.
Watch Our Video
Preparing students for the future: Find out how UNCG prepares students for life after college through hands-on learning experiences.