Mathematics & Statistics
Address:116 Petty Building
Web site: www.uncg.edu/mat
- Mathematics (BA) U179
- Mathematics (BS) U181
- Mathematics (BA) (High Sch Lic) U183
- Mathematics: Statistics (BS) U184
About the Major
Mathematics is an excellent major for the student whose immediate objective is to acquire a strong liberal arts education. The goal of all of the department’s programs is to produce students who are both technically competent and sufficiently well grounded in theory that they can contribute to fundamental research in their chosen specialty.
What's Unique about Mathematics and Statistics at UNCG?
- Productive research faculty
- Friendly student-oriented faculty
- Services that provide assistance to students: Math Help Center and review sessions
- One-on-one statistics consulting
- Vibrant M.A. and Ph.D. program
- Accelerated Degree Program (ADP) to earn credit toward a master's degree while an undergraduate
- Only Ph.D. program in Computational Mathematics in North Carolina
Academic Clubs and Organizations
- UNCG Student Chapter of the Association for Women in Mathematics (AWM):The AWM encourages women toward mathematical careers and promotes equal treatment of women and other underrepresented minorities in mathematical sciences.
- Mathematical Association of America (MAA): The MAA is a national organization for mathematics, with special emphasis on the role of undergraduate teachers and students in the discipline. The department sponsors a student chapter.
- The North Carolina Council of Teachers of Mathematics (NCCTM): The NCCTM is the professional organization in North Carolina of all persons responsible for the teaching of mathematics. The Alpha Student Chapter supports those who are interested in or planning to become mathematics educators.
- Pi Mu Epsilon (PME): PME is a national honor society whose purpose is the promotion and recognition of scholarly activity in the mathematical sciences.
- Opportunities to work as an undergraduate assistant
- Disciplinary Honors in Mathematics
- Research opportunities
- Federally sponsored grants in undergraduate research
- University sponsored grants in undergraduate research
- There are many career paths for undergraduate mathematics majors including industry, government, business, and secondary school teaching.
- Careers of recent graduates include teachers at numerous levels, geophysicists, information systems specialists, business analysis managers, computer systems specialists, presidents, and CEOs.
- Graduates of the program have pursued careers with organizations such as American Express, AT&T Technologies, BB&T, NSA, NASA, U.S. Department of the Interior, U.S. Department of Treasury, and others.
- An undergraduate major in the mathematics also provides excellent preparation for graduate studies in many areas, including actuarial sciences, computer science, economics, engineering, law, mathematics, operations research, and statistics. The major can be specialized to allow preparation for any of these goals.
- Many graduates pursue graduate studies in master's and doctoral programs at schools such as Berkeley, N.C. State, Notre Dame, Texas A&M, University of Maryland, UNC-Chapel Hill, UNCG, and University of Texas at Arlington.
Watch Our Video
We're the Spartans UNCG's spirit of self-discovery energizes our students and faculty and inspires them to do big things.