Address: 323 HHP Building
Web site: performingarts.uncg.edu/
- Dance (BFA) U431
- Dance K-12 Lic (BFA) U438
- Dance Studies (BA) U435
- Dance Studies K-12 Lic (BA) U437
About the Major
- The Bachelor of Fine Arts in Dance (Choreography and Performance) (B.F.A.) provides experiences in dance as an art form with emphasis on creative and performance activities. Coursework in contemporary dance, ballet, as well as other dance techniques, choreography, and performance are central in the curriculum, providing a basis for graduate study and for careers related to dance.
- The Bachelor of Arts in Dance Studies (B.A.) provides students with a liberal arts-focused education in dance, allowing for flexibility in creating an educational experience tailored to individual strengths and pursuits including studying abroad, Honors College work and multiple majors.
- Teacher Licensure (K-12) may be added to either degree for students interested in teaching dance in public schools.
Special Application Procedures
An entry audition is required to major in dance at UNCG. Auditions are held twice a year (once in fall and one in spring) in the Health & Human Performance Building (HHP) on campus for new and transfer students interested in majoring in dance. The department coordinates the bi-annual auditions well in advance of other deadlines for the university. To register for an audition, please visit http://performingarts.uncg.edu/forms/undergrad-dance-audition-request.
What's unique about Dance at UNCG?
- The department offers four levels of contemporary dance, three levels of ballet, three levels of jazz, three levels of African dance, two levels of hip-hop, and two levels of tap dance.
- Classes are offered in improvisation, global dance forms, performance/repertory, choreography, dance history, dance criticism, dance production and technology, body sciences and somatic practices for dance, dance entrepreneurship, and administration and dance education.
- Facilities include five studios, complete sound system in every studio, a fully equipped dance theater, an extensive video resource library, and video recording/editing equipment. Live accompaniment is provided for most technique classes.
Academic Clubs and Organizations
- Prime Movers:Social and educational club, responsible for annual concerts of student work.
- Delta Chi Xi Honorary Dance Fraternity
- Internships are developed to meet the student's needs. Most frequent are internships in schools or community dance settings, teaching, or doing administrative work.
- The department produces 10-12 concerts each year. Many of these productions offer chances for undergraduates to perform. At least two concerts each year include choreography by undergraduate students.
- Resident faculty and student dance companies.
- Career options include performance and choreography positions, as well as arts administration and teaching in a school or community setting.
- In addition to the above career options, graduates of the program have pursued careers writing about dance, sales and marketing of dance-related items, lighting design for dance, costume design for dance, dance therapy, dance science/medicine, dance history, dance notation, graphic design for dance, dance photography, and dance technology.
Professional Organizations and Accreditation
- National Association of Schools of Dance
- National Dance Education Organization
Watch Our Video
We're the Spartans UNCG's spirit of self-discovery energizes our students and faculty and inspires them to do big things.